Tuesday, January 8, 2019
Short and salty update: Almost time to go!
After several bus engine issues and scares I am about ready to go. This week I am cleaning out my storage unit and hitting the road!
The schedule as planned so far:
I will be heading Northeast stopping (possibly) in Atlanta, GA Friday night to visit a friend, then on to Charlotte, NC Saturday to visit a bunch more friends. Landing in Lenore, NC to paint, quilt, photo, geocache, pokemon, find snow, and otherwise cause mischief (with Mischief of course) through February. I'll be heading back south in March for the God-kids birthdays (all 3 are in March, I'm certain that was planned for my benefit). I will then be tooling around the northwest Florida area for a bit until its time to head east for the next Photo Scavenger Hunt Meetup in Orlando (late May) and then...NW perhaps? We shall seeeeeee.......
See you on the road!
Friday, November 23, 2018
"Just remember, once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed."
For various reasons (some good, some not) I have decided not to detail every step of this process. If you have specific questions I will happily answer them and I will continue to give updates as the living space comes together, but at this point most of the major stuff is complete and I'm more excited to say that my adventure will soon commence! I have officially given the necessary notices here in Pensacola, now I'm ready to tell the rest of the outside world that I will be setting out on my nomadic journey in January! More about that soon but for now I need to catch you up on my progress...
apologies for the missing steps but a lot of my photos from the process were lost so here is the condensed version
picking up supplies
No sawhorses, getting creative
So much insulation!!!!
Wall panels in, now for the bed frame!
Oops, jumped ahead, more supplies...
here the token christmas lights and decorations give an indication of time passing...
(yes that was last christmas... yes this blog post covers a whole year, I know I know....)
Ceiling prepped and ready for, wait for it...more insulation!!
(are you sensing a theme here? cause if you're not, I'm a little worried about you)
'Let it snow, let it snow, let it...' oh wait, I'm in Florida.
Don't let the 'bedroom' fool you, it's still a hot mess!
Final piece of sub floor! (took me long enough)
It's the little things that make a huge difference
~~Jumping ahead again~~
kitchen (or at least its bones anyway)
More walls...ceiling....wailings? Ceills?
Another small thing that makes a huge difference...
Closing the gaps...
Nothing like living in a construction zone.
I have a FRIDGE!!!
~~more jumping ahead~~
Desk and walls... some things are starting to look finished...ish...
These curves are a pain...
Not gonna lie, the mess and clutter in these photos is a bit embarrassing, but if that gives any indication of the difficulty in building something while sleeping in it...
...lets just say, no regrets but I would not do it again. Hopefully I never have to :D
Welp, that's it for now. Stay tuned for more info on the first stage of the grand nomadic adventure!
Friday, December 1, 2017
"If you put down a good, solid foundation and build one room after another, pretty soon you have a house."
The sub floor. The floor of the bus consisted of a rubber mat glued to a thick wooden floor, screwed in turn to the metal sub floor. The wood was in good shape and I was minded to leave it be but after doing some research I decided otherwise. There were very clear warnings about doing so. I figured it would be much better if be safe and so I stripped her down to the sub floor. I didn't have the big rust holes and issues that the warnings mentioned but there was the potential to be so I got to work.
Here she is all naked and gross...
Many of the old bolt shafts that once held the seats still stuck through the floor and needed to be removed. There were also all the screw holes from those securing the old wood floor the sub floor. Once I succeeded in removing any errant screws and bolts, the floor had to be properly cleaned to prepare for the hole patches and a coat of primer.
The cleaning was a grueling process that consisted of grinding clean the metal surface with a rough wheel attachment and a corded drill.
before half way done
It was intensely satisfying though. The difference was extreme and I finally felt like I was starting to make progress on the interior of the bus. Even though I was exhausted and disgusting, it took me forever to go back inside and get cleaned up. I couldn't stop looking at it, and I was eager to get back to it!
The grinding continues...
I had picked up some fresh wheels and the work was flying!
All done and sooooo preeeeettty!!!!!
The holes were filled with Bondo on a patch of window screen material, and then the whole floor liberally coated with a primer of Rustoleum.
Next a thin layer of vehicle insulation...
Looks so cozy like this!
And finally, the new wood floor.
With a brand new layer of treated 3/4" ply I was finally at the building stage. I had purchased only two pieces knowing I'd need more but not how much. Turns out one more would do it, but that piece can wait. Now I turned my attention to framing out the bed. The holidays loomed and visiting family would need places to sleep. Moving back out to the bus, at least at night, was about to become a necessity...